Thanks for your interest in working with us!
Thrifty Nomads is an inspiration hub for affordable travel created by a husband-wife team, Jen & Ted. Our goal is to not only motivate people to travel, but to show them exactly how to do it. If this is a concept you’re passionate about, let's talk!
Current writing jobs (February 2019)
At the moment, we are seeking freelance writers to author pieces in any of the following areas:
- Credit cards and points: We're looking for points gurus who know the best way to travel for free with U.S. credit cards and points, or niche topics on individual credit cards or card benefits (travel/car insurance, airport lounge access, etc.)
- Airbnb hosting: If you have been a successful host on Airbnb, especially if you reached Superhost status, we want to hear from you.
- Long-form destination guides with detailed information (example here and here). Current regions of interest include Iceland, Las Vegas, Japan, USA, Southeast Asia. But if you're a true expert, we want to hear from you!
- “How to” guides on visiting particular places: Attractions/areas that require a lot of planning that wouldn't fit in your typical travel guidebook. Mount Everest, the Amazon, Antarctica, etc. Examples here, here, here, here.
- How-to guides on niche topics (e.g. how to travel cheaply with children, how to travel if you have debt).
- Work & travel topics (e.g. how to teach overseas, how to work remotely & travel).
- Inspirational posts (e.g. why grief inspired me to travel).
- Any “travel hack” type posts
What we look for
We seek writers who can create digestible, practical information. All articles should be concise, accurate, and sensibly broken up with headings. Our aim is to have readers gain new knowledge from our articles, without having to sift through “fluff”.
We want you to write about topics that you know inside out, not just a place that you spent a few days in.
We especially like to highlight DIY and cost-effective methods of travel. This doesn't mean always taking the barebones backpacker route, but explaining the cheapest ways to travel at the comfort level you want.
Professional writing experience is preferred, but not essential if you can provide samples demonstrating your writing abilities. We supply a detailed template and contract for proposed blog posts to successful applicants.
Rate of pay & how to apply
As hard-working bloggers ourselves, we don’t believe in making people write for us in exchange for free “exposure”. Your time is money. Serious applicants will be provided with information on rates, and all our writers are paid.
Interested? Send us the following information to [email protected]:
- Background info about yourself including writing experience and where you’re from, trips you’ve done (including destination(s) and length of stay in a particular region if you wish to write a destination guide on it)
- Minimum 2 samples of your writing OR a draft/outline of any of our required article types listed above
- Ideas for blog post(s) you are interested in writing
Due to the large volume of e-mails we receive, only successful applicants will be contacted. Thank you!